Friday, March 22, 2019

How to Veggie up Your Family

We are not a veggie family.

Don't like 'em. Never have.

I have been working on myself to learn to do better, a little at a time, and after a few years, I can now enjoy a salad or stir fry for dinner occasionally.

But how do I get Hubby and nine children (ages 7-27) to eat more veggies?
I have discovered three things that have drastically helped, but first I had to actually buy more veggies. I was reading "Real Food" by Nina Planck and she made a very valuable point: we can't eat veggies if we don't have veggies in the house. She states that she finds it worth risking some of the veggies going bad before they get used so that she has plenty on hand to eat what she wants.

Oh.

Duh.

And since I looked up the prices of veggies and which ones were cheapest to write an article that will be here soon on making menus, I already had an idea fresh veggies won't hurt my budget too much.

So, I bought about twice my normal amount the last two weeks. Then:

  1. I immediately prepared every veggies as close to ready to eat as I could. I didn't consider groceries put up until I did. Carrots and celery sliced, broccoli and cauliflower pulled into bite sized pieces, the stump cut off the lettuce, spinach washed, cabbage shredded. This means if you want a salad in my house you carry a bowl to the fridge grab a few things, dump some dressing on it, and go eat. I've seen a few more salads eaten this way.
  2. I keep a cake pan of veggies on our dining room table. The main walkway in the house is bordered on the north by the table, so that pan of veggies must be walked by a dozen times per day by each member of the household. And it's impossible to walk past it without popping a few veggies in your mouth. Refilling it each day is no problem since all the veggies are cut up and in baggies in the fridge. 
  3. I make sure there are at least three veggies on the table for supper each night. While we sit and visit after supper I watch the raw veggies just sort of disappear. If a tray of veggies is sitting in front of you, you have no choice but to pick at it. 

The result:

One child told me today she feels better. I'll give it another week and ask the others.

The one most plagued by constipation hasn't needed to buy fiber bars in two weeks.

We RAN OUT of veggies last week! (except for 2 tomatoes and half a head of lettuce, and frozen and canned veggies).  RAN OUT! All gone. Wow!

We only used about half the flour we normally use. Each child makes their own lunch, focusing on leftovers, but this means the occasional pancake or tortilla-for-one. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they have been so much fuller when lunch time came (from eating veggies as they walk through the house) that they aren't hungry enough to want to cook anything (100 degree weather may be contributing to that too). So they just grab a piece of fruit and handful of veggies and some protein (leftover chicken, glass of milk) and leave it at that.

This means less white flour, since they usually use a mix of white and wheat.

So, my conclusion is that we will again double the amount of veggies we buy. It is well worth it, and we are saving part of the extra cost in the fewer other foods we buy (white flower, fiber bars.)

And a Couple of Recipes

A recent discovery that is now two of my favorites.

Sheet-Pan Roasted Root Vegetables

  • 2 large carrots
  • 2 medium parsnips, peeled
  • 2 medium beets, peeled
  • 1 medium red onion
  • 1 medium sweet potato
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, or balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary or sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Cut carrots and parsnips into ½-inch-thick slices on a diagonal, then cut into half moons. Cut beets and onion into ½-inch-thick wedges. Cut sweet potato into ¾-inch cubes. You should have about 12 cups raw vegetables.

Toss the vegetables with oil, vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper in a large bowl until well coated. Divide between the prepared baking sheets, spreading into a single layer.

Roast the vegetables, rotating the pans top to bottom halfway through, until fork-tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
(Recipe originally from eatingwell.com)

And for when the oven is busy:

Root Vegetable Saute
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 cup peeled, chopped carrot, (1 medium)
  • 1 cup peeled, chopped parsnip, (1 medium)
  • 1 cup peeled, chopped turnip, (1 medium)
  • 2-4 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper, to taste
In a medium pot with a lid, melt butter over medium heat.

Add chopped vegetables and season with salt and pepper.

Cover with a lid and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender, stirring occasionally.

Season again with salt and pepper as necessary, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Stir to combine well and serve hot.

(Recipe originally from dontwastethecrumbs.com)

Honestly, I use the same veggies for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?
(Please talk like you would face to face and treat others the way you want to be treated).